Note: The following announcement was sent to the CSES email list. To receive notices like this one by email, please join the CSES email list using our convenient web form. Or, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you would like to join.
Dear CSES colleagues,
We are pleased to draw your attention to a special symposium in the March 2008 issue of the journal Electoral Studies. Coordinated by guest editor Ian McAllister, the symposium makes uses of CSES Module 2 to cover three themes in public support for democracy: satisfaction, accountability and participation.
A free table of contents and abstracts can be accessed on the Science Direct website by searching for Electoral Studies Volume 27, Issue 1 (March 2008). Full text is also available online for subscribers. The articles include:
- "Public support for democracy: Results from the Comparative Study of Electoral Systems project" by Ian McAllister
- "Satisfaction with democracy: Do institutions matter?" by Kees Aarts and Jacques Thomassen
- "Meaningful choices, political supply, and institutional effectiveness" by Bernhard Wessels and Hermann Schmitt
- "Citizen information, election outcomes and good governance" by Gabor Toka
- "Identifying sources of democratic legitimacy: A multilevel analysis" by Min-hua Huang, Yu-tzung Chang, and Yun-han Chu
- "Does globalization affect public perceptions of 'Who in power can make a difference'? Evidence from 40 countries, 1996-2006" by Jack Vowles
- "Does political participation make a difference? The relationship between political choice, civic engagement and political efficacy" by Ken'ichi Ikeda, Tetsuro Kobayashi, and Maasa Hoshimoto
- "Disengaging voters: Do plurality systems discourage the less knowledgeable from voting?" by Stephen D. Fisher, Laurence Lessard-Phillips, Sara B. Hobolt, and John Curtice
- "When politics is not just a man's game: Women's representation and political engagement" by Jeffrey A. Karp and Susan A. Banducci
Director of Studies
Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES)